Thursday, April 28, 2011

Rock climbing and thyroid medication

Most endurance athletes have probably experienced an increase in their sweat response as they become more conditioned. 

A few years ago when I was training for a marathon, I found I would start sweating at the drop of a hat. A doctor holds up a needle?  Sweat would start dripping down my arm.  I see a dog go running into the road?  It looked like someone threw a bucket of water over my head.  Anything that remotely brought my heart rate up would result in copious amounts of sweating.  I spent 70% of my time looking like a drowned rat and probably smelling like a gym's locker room. I guess it's good I was already married.  This could be (one of!) the reasons men prefer women who do yoga to marathon runners...

But when I started becoming hypothyroid, my sweat response decreased dramatically.  It was actually a pretty convenient side effect, since soon thereafter I took up rock climbing.  Sweaty hands are the bane of rock climbers, to the point that they smear disgusting chalk all over their hands repeatedly. (I rarely chalk, not because I'm a purist, but because it just makes your nails and hands disgusting).  I could just waltz up the 5.10's with clean(ish) dry hands, and look pretty hard core at the same time.

But since getting on levothyroxine, my sweat production seems to have gone back to normal.  My friend points out that when I climb overhangs, there is now usually a trail of sweat below me.  I'll start a bouldering route only to fly off at the end when my sweating equals that of 5 mini-hoses attached to my fingertips.  And I've had to start wearing tank tops, requiring an unfortunate amount of attention to whether or not my armpit hair has started growing back...sigh.

I guess I can take comfort in the fact that when the zombie apocalypse comes, I probably won't be able to find levothyroxine, thus increasing my ability to climb random objects to escape the zombies.  Of course, that won't be any help if I can't outrun them to these objects because I'm so freaking fatigued.  Or I could just start using chalk.  Blech....

1 comment:

Carolina-Jane said...

I got hypothyroidism and hair loss, it is one of the worst symptoms. But thanks to desiccated porcine health capsules , my hair stopped falling in clumps.